Vegan lemon blueberry Bundt cake
Posted: Tuesday, July 22nd, 2008 – 7:26 pm
I got the idea for recipe for this Bundt cake from a PBS show hosted by Martha Stewart. The segment was on quick brunch ideas, and one of the chefs prepared a very delicious looking lemon blueberry Bundt cake, not vegan of course. I figured this recipe would be pretty easy to veganize. Sour cream was added for tang and moisture, but I never cared for vegan sour cream, so I decided to use vegan yogurt for the same effect. I also cut down the amount of sugar and fat to make it a little more calorie-conscious, but if you look at the nutritional breakdown, even a small piece packs a punch. Eat in moderation!!
I sent one of these cakes to work with my significant other the other day, and it went over really well. You can definitely use this recipe to spread some good will at the office.
Bundt cake ingredients
- ¾ vegan margarine (Earth Balance preferably)
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs worth egg replacer prepared
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 6-ounce containers vanilla soy yogurt
- 1½ cups fresh blueberries, washed and drained
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
Bundt cake preparation
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- With an electric mixer, cream the vegan margarine and sugars together until the mixture has increased in volume.
- Mix in the egg replacer and lemon zest.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together. Add in thirds to the creamed sugar mixture, mixing gently just until incorporated. Do not overmix.
- When the mixture is almost mixed together, fold in the soy yogurt with a spatula until well-incorporated.
The mixture should be rather thick.
- In a separate bowl, mix the blueberries with 2 tablespoons of flour and gently shake until they are well-coated. This process will help the blueberries stay suspended in the mixture and not sink to the bottom.
- Gently fold in the blueberries until they are evenly distributed through the dough.
- Lightly grease a bundt pan. Scrape the evenly mixture into the pan. Tap the pan on the countertop a couple of times to distribute the dough into any air pockets.
- Bake at 350°F for 60-70 minutes. The top should be lightly browned.
- Allow to cool for a couple of hours before inverting otherwise the cake might fall apart. When cooled, invert onto a serving dish and pour the prepared glaze over. Serve.
Lemon glaze ingredients and preparation
- 2½ cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup lemon juice
Whisk the lemon juice into the powdered sugar until smooth and no lumps remain. Pour over cooled cake immediately.
Yields: 16 pieces
|Serving Size 1 piece of cake (77g)
Servings Per Batch about 16
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 358||Calories from Fat 153|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 17g||26%|
|Saturated Fat 7g||35%|
|Monounsaturated Fat 4.5g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 4.5g|
|Trans Fat 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 50g||17%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|